The front door formal foyer and the back door or garage entrance probably serve very different purposes in your home. The front is likely where guests enter, whereas the garage entry is the one your family likely uses most often. As the front door is less used, it’s likely easier to keep the front foyer clean and tidy. But the main entryway from the garage or back door is where life gets in the way. This is where organization is crucial to keep things in a reasonable sense of order. Rather than purchasing organization materials after your home is built, consider building in some features that can help keep your most used entryway clean and fresh. Whether you’re looking for homes for sale on Lake Keowee or you’re working on a custom home, these ideas can work in any home.
- Built-in Lockers or Cubbies. Give each person who lives in your home their own space to hang coats and bags and store shoes. Consider building in open or closeable locker spaces with hooks and a cubby space above for hats and a cubby space below for shoes. Everyone’s belongings go in their own space and everything stays neat and tidy.
- Benches with Storage. Another idea for a cleaner entryway is built-in benches with storage underneath. Benches provide a place to sit while putting on shoes and the space underneath or inside can be used for shoes, bags, hats, gloves, umbrellas, etc. The stuff is out of sight, making the entryway look crisp and tidy while still being highly functional.
- Durable Flooring. The backdoor entryway is not the place for beautiful hardwood floors. With wet, dirty shoes coming in regularly, even with a rug, your hardwoods will start to look shabby. Consider more durable flooring, such as ceramic or porcelain tile. Tile is moisture resistant and cleans up easily. Go with a dark color tile and grout that won’t show dirt.
- Hand Washing Sink. If you don’t have a bathroom right inside your entryway, you may want to consider a small area for cleaning up. Include a small sink for washing hands, perhaps with a mirror and vanity space. Include shelving for hand soap and lotion for when you’re on your way in, and sunscreen and bug spray for when you’re on the way out.
- Washer and Dryer. An entryway that doubles as your laundry room can be very convenient. When everyone comes in with wet clothes from playing in the snow or muddy clothes from sports, they can remove wet things and put them straight into the washer or dryer. And the fresh smell of laundry detergent and dryer sheets will overpower the smell of stinky shoes. Be sure to include the necessary hookups for a washer and dryer when designing your home.
Even if you’re not custom building a home, but looking at existing homes for sale on Lake Keowee, these are easy adaptations to make in any home.
Design your Ideal Entryway with Total Quality Home Builders
When you’re designing your custom home on Lake Keowee, Total Quality Home Builders wants to create the home of your dreams. Every detail matters, including your entryway. Even if you intend to look at existing homes for sale on Lake Keowee, Total Quality can help you find a home with an entryway that meets your needs or can be adapted to include the features you want. Call Total Quality Home Builders and Waterfront Properties today: (864) 868-5253.